Notification

Icon
Error

Options
swimjoy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:47:23 AM(UTC)

I am having trouble with my thread getting eaten up in the top threader.  I have rethreaded several times and tryed differernt thread, plyx 40 and sulky.  I threads fine and I start my deisign and quickly it is asking me to rethread and I can see that in the #4 area of the threading it is fraying and pulling apart.  i have tryed differnt stabilzer, differnt fabric and I cant get it to stop.  I even tried adjusting the cap on my spool to see if that would help...I dont currently use the sock and cant figure out how, any suggestions?  I am new, just got my machine in Dec and when it was working well, I love it but now this is frustrating

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:22:33 AM(UTC)

A photo of the 'in progress' chewing would assist a little on this one. When you go to respond again, use the 'film strip' icon (middle of the features bar and follow the directions.

There is one outstanding thing that you did not mention and that is the needle. Even the best of needles can have a burr inside the eye which would do what you are describing.

The second issue would be that you take the newly rethreaded (but not yet in the needle) thread and use it as you would dental floss on your teeth. Gently draw it back and forth through the guides and watch for any snippets of thread that could be hiding there.

I hope that you have read and done the PE700 Instructions. It clearly shows where to cut thread and remove it when changing threads. Your machine is the next generation of the PE700 and the instructions are for ANY machine in general.

Another issue could be old thread. Sometimes when a dealer is selling a machine, they might throw in a dozen spools of thread that has a limited shelf life. Most threads are limited in their shelf life, but some last longer than others. IMHO Sulky is low on my list of recommend threads for these reasons. 1. Threads that are closer to the spool are usually more likely to be compressed and hold their 'tightly' wound condition. This is also true of the inside of the larger spools, especially in the metallic threads. 2. The configuration of the spool leaves more of the thread exposed to the drying of air (a natural event). 3. The light weight of the spool can hamper its ability to 'draw' the thread away from the spool making a slight increase in tension for even a moment. The excess tension can cause a small shred which eventually turns into a large shred and breakage.

Lastly, I have my own method of rejuvenating thread, you can see it here. This is my method and you need to decide if you want to try it or not.

You are really going got love machine embroidery when you get everything working right. Starting out can be frustrating, so read and ask a lot of questions. Post as many photos as you think will show your issue. AnnTheGran is the finest site on the Web for information - IMHO.

The dealer made embroidery look easy. It is when you know all the tricks and tips and especially your machine.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

swimjoy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:51:42 PM(UTC)

Thanks, great advice, so glad I found this site.  I love all of your info!!!  I played with it last night for a while and changed my needle and think I got it working ok.  I think there is a fuzz ball of thread on the back of the arm in #4, I tried to spray it out with a air can, but cant seem to get it....I dont think there would be any type of brush fuzz stuff suppose to be in there right?  How should I try to get it out?  Also, I looked and the local thread I bought was Coats and Clark not Sulky..

pattiann  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:14:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Your machine is still under warranty and for the first 90 days service should be free.

Call your dealer and ask if you can wait while he checks the upper threading section of the machine and if there is will be any charge as the machine is brand new.

There are two removable covers on the top left of the machine.  These are held in place with a small Phillips screw. 

The second time I had a problem with the upper threading system, the dealer showed my husband how to take these covers off for cleaning.  Round trip to the dealer for me is over 100 miles unless I want to leave my EM at a local quilt shop where he picks up and delivers once a week.

For the last few days I have had the top thread pulling down to the bottom and when my husband remove the covers, he found a small bit of lint jammed into the threading path.  He removed it with tweezers and the machine is back to normal.

pat71896  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:44:54 AM(UTC)

There are a couple of cautions I would insert here. Using canned air is OK AS LONG AS it is spraying air. That means that there should never be 'propellant' coming out. If you are just getting air, that is OK, but if there is some liquid in that air, that is the propellant. Always shake well and spray away from (any) machine/computer to be sure there is no liquid.

Next, if you cannot get the 'fuzz' out by either using the flossing technique or a small pair of tweezers, you may have to take it to the service center. That non-opening area is like that for a reason, the manufacturer does not want you in there. Possibly some oil is holding on to that fuzz. Getting into that area is not a good idea. If you are still trying, make sure you have unplugged your machine.

Lastly, most machines seem to like one thread more than another. Frankly, that can be any brand even on the same make of machine. I remember very well that my PE700 did not like Coats and Clark. Make sure as well that you are using EMBROIDERY thread. Regular thread will not work well for embroidery projects. Threads are another whole bunch of does and don'ts. Stick with the best you can afford. I know I love the Madeira (which has several different types of embroidery thread) and Hemmingworth. But those are personal preferences. Using a poor quality thread won't give you the sheen and quality of a good brand.

This is an example of how sheen should be seen. It depends on the thread, digitizing and the lay of the stitching.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer