Notification

Icon
Error

Options
opt4u2c  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 1:21:45 AM(UTC)

Can someone PLEASE help me!!  I have been trying to put "Sweet Dreams" on a crib bumper. I have the largest hoop (not the 5x7    the big one!)   I rotated the project horizontaly. I have tried it all and ready to toss it out! I don't understand how to make letters large. I have pushed the Large button where it says LMS, and it always says it's too big. I would like to make the letters about 3 or 4 inches tall. Please tell me how to accomplish this and PLEASSE use great detail because I am a little sloww!!  Don't assume I know anything about this machine, as far as I'm concerned it has a mind of it's own. Thanking you in advance, Leslie

opt4u2c  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:09:52 AM(UTC)

I have a new machine Pe-700 and I  need help!! Please help me me to  put lettering on a crib bumper pad. I am using the very large hoop (larger than the 5x7) and want to put "sweet Dreams" on it with approx. 3 inch letter. I have rotated the pattern horizontaly and it still says too big. Please tell me step by step in simpliest terms how to do each step. I have the measurements in inches, put don't know how to make it the size I want. Thank you so much for your help, Leslie

pattiann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:16:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Have you embroidered one large letter to see how much space it requires? 

It is possible you have too many letters to fit within the size of your frame. 

Some letters take up more space than others.

Eleven letters + space between the two words + spacing between the letters = ? 

You may have to do a few letters at a time.  This will take planning - a line for keeping the letters even and using the outline feature on the machine to see how much space the letter will require.  If too close, jog the needle position to the right and check.  Too much space; jog the needle to the left. 

A water or air soluble pen for marking quilts is a great help when laying out lettering. 

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:47:27 AM(UTC)

I used to have a PE-700 and I loved it. My business has really taken off and I had to get a bigger machine, but the PE-700 is still one of the best work horses on the market.  You don't say how much experience you have, but if you are new to machine embroidery, you are taking on a large challenge.  You cannot use a larger hoop than the 5 by 7 you have available for that machine.

Let me say that you may want to adjust your thinking to make this task more achievable. When I began embroidering, I thought I was going to do a lot of work with large lettering - and I bought a bunch of 3" letters that have never been used.

In my blog for this week, I do have a photo of how to space multiple hoopings. It is only a visual, but you may be able to get from there to where you want to go.  I am thinking that you may be able to do it in 2 hoopings (I did not check since there are many variables) and I would do it this way:

• Begin by placing a 'frame' around your (planned) words. The frame can be any size to start with, you will adjust later.
  • For the 1st hooping, create the word "Sweet" and I would look for your letters already on your machine and find one that can be tall without being very wide. If you use 'medium' size, you will  need to use 'medium' for both words.
  • The 2nd hooping would be "Dreams" and you need to be sure that you can fit 'Dreams' into a single hooping and be the same size as 'Sweet.'
  • I am thinking that your highest size lettering will be in the 2" tall range, possibly shorter.
  • Adjust/enlarge your frame to fit your words. Since the frames are concerned with the height and width, you will pay special attention to the height so that both words will be the same size height wize.
  • On a similar scrap of fabric, sew the frame and words for each side by side. You may have to adjust the spacing. It will be up to you to make them aligned.

If you still want to use the 3" size, you may need 3 or more hoopings making it more complex. Adjusting everything to alignment gets harder with more and more hoopings.

You may want to consider a smaller size of lettering and then using your regular sewing machine sew a a fun accent color grosgrain ribbon (any type of ribbon) around the words to make the whole presentation larger. I would even make the ribbon with tails (perhaps) at the top right corner and create a bow with the tails. Any corner or the middle of the bottom of the ribbon would be fine for the bow.

Practice and ask a lot of questions. Read and read some more. If you are really new, I would recommend that you consider doing the project that I prepared for your machine. You can see it here. Practice on a variety of fabric and stabilizers. You need to have a feel for what is needed to create a successful project.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer