Notification

Icon
Error

Options
kkelble  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 11:27:43 AM(UTC)

I have recently purchased a PE770 and I am having some trouble.  First, I want to embroider three words ( my husbands business) and can't figure out how to put spaces inbetween each word. Secondly, I am thrilled to have found your tutorial and plan to make good use of it. Sadly, our local stores will not provide or allow an individaul to pay for lessons unless the machine was purchased through them. I bought mine online and could use a lesson or two, or general support would be nice

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 12:17:51 PM(UTC)

WhisperThank you for noticing the tutorial.  You will learn from it and I know you are going to have a lot of fun with your new purchase.

I had the same problem when I was a newbie (just like you!).  There is a line which looks like an underscore, and it is actually the space. 

Check out the blogs, Forums and aska lot of questions, because this beautiful craft has a learning curve that is interesting. . . . Well, it depends on you, some find it trouble, but most find it just a normal learning time. 

I recommend that you do a first project such as is in the Tutorial, then work through your book.  As you do projects, you will find that your instruction book will be easier to understand.  Just reading it, even along side a project, can be challenging.

I don't recommend that you start with the business name as a first project.  Get out your scraps of fabric and purchase some stabilizers to get started.  You will want to have 3  or 4 stabilizers to start.  The first will be a water soluble stabilizer.  You will use it on many projects such as free standing lace, towels and blankets.  The 2nd should be a medium weight tear away.  Tear away is actually a paper product, so it is not very strong.  You will use it on denim and other heavy fabrics that don't need a lot of stabilizer.  The 3rd and 4th will be medium weight cut away and medium weight adhesive cut away.  Those will be used for projects that will have a lot of heavy wear, like jackets and caps.  I recommend the adhesive rather than using a spray glue for newbies.  You have enough on your hands without dealing with too heavy or light adhesives on your stabilizer.   Check out this blog too.

Basting is another method of 'adhering' your stabilizer to your fabric.  Basting is use of the 'outline' stitches with just a single stitch for the design.  Basting is a very good method, but you still need stabilizer behind your fabric.

Let us know how you are doing.  You can check my profile for my email if you need a specific question.  I can either point you to an answer to discuss it with you.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:58:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The underscore key _  is a blank space.  It will not stitch.

P_A_T will stitch out P A T.

kkelble  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:08:00 AM(UTC)

Thank you for the tips! I did purchase stabilizer when I purchased the machine and will pick up the others that you recommended. I plan to start with your tutorial and progress from there. I look forward to exploring the blogs and forums I am so happy to have found this site and eager to begin again. Thank you thank you thank you!

Kat

pat71896  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:17:56 AM(UTC)

There is a lot to learn, don't feel overwhelmed, we are all here to help!

Pat