Notification

Icon
Error

Options
mcathyt  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:28:54 AM(UTC)

I'm new at quilting & just finished pinning one together - ready to sew.  I have muslin on the bottom, with Warm & Natural. I'm sewing it together with nylon thread & am having trouble with skipped stitches. I'm using a new #14 needle.  Anyone have any sugjestions as to why this is happening.  Thank you, Cathy

kt3234  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 8:42:36 PM(UTC)

Cathy,

There are several things that can cause skipped stitches. Among them are wrong thread for the project, quality defects in the thread, improper needle/thread size relationship, worn or defective thread guides or eyelets, improper threading, excessive machine tension, defective needle or improper positioning of the needle, worn or defective machine parts (burs or sharp surfaces on thread handling), machine out of adjustment, improper feeding, improper operator handling, flagging. Hope this helps and you can determine what is causing the problem and wish you the best of luck with your quilt.

Thank you, kt3234 Karen

mcathyt  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 8:24:45 AM(UTC)

Hi Karen,

Thank you for letting me know what to check.  A friend from work mentioned checking the bobbin - I had the wrong bobbin in my machine.  I have two Brother's machines & they use two different bobbins......Thought for sure I had wound the thread on right bobbin, so didn't even consider checking that. Really did appreciate your responding to my note.  Thanks so much, Cathy

kt3234  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:53:33 PM(UTC)

Hi Cathy! You are welcome! Glad your friend was able to help you and I really do wish you best of luck with your quilt! I hope you will post a pic of it in the projects section when you are done. Have a wonderful day, kt3234 Karen

lschieber  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 11:24:01 PM(UTC)

You might want to try using a different thread - nylon has never been one of my best - it seems to break & twist easily.  Try a thread made for quilting and see if there is a difference.

mcathyt  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:58:11 AM(UTC)

Rechecked my bobbin & found out I did have the right one.  I'm using Sulky polyester thread, & looking at the spool noticed it calls for a 75-90  Top Stitch Needle.  I'll have to check that out - seems that type of needle would be used with thicker thread.  The polyester is a very thin weak thread.  Now I'm sewing my quilt with my other machine & using some nylon thread I had.  Working perfectly.  Never too old to learn something new - I guess!!!