Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
macnsac  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:18:39 AM(UTC)

I have a PE-700, and I have been having some "issues" so would love to have an opportunity to see a video of you demonstrating it's use and any pointers you can share. 

Specifically, the white bobbin thread shows on top, when doing the satin stitch on outside borders of designs.  I've adjusted the tension, but that does not seem to help.  Some of the groups I belong to had conversations about the PE 700 and some said it only worked well with polyester thread.  I wondered if you found that to be true.  I do have some polyester, but mostly I have Rayon.  It seems to show bobbin thread on top no matter which type I use.  I use Sulky and Madeira for 90% of the sewing and the polyester I have is from Ken's Sewing Center, a 25 spool pack which came with my PE700, purchased less than a year ago.  I also have some Radiant thread Rayon and some polyester bought on the internet.  But I don't use that much, only if I absolutely need a specific color that I only have in the Radiant, because it breaks a lot on the PE700 and my 180D.

I know you are busy, but if you or anyone, has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.  And, I would be interested in a video for using the PE700.  Maybe there's some other adjustment I have not been able to find.

Thank you.

Mary Anne
hammockhanger  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2008 11:32:03 AM(UTC)

I love my PE-700.  I use both rayon and poly.  I like poly better but have no problem with the bobbin showing when using rayon.  Have you checked the tension of the bobbin down at the bobbin screw?? ST/HH

maemargaret  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:25:07 AM(UTC)

Hi Maryann,I too have the PE700. I have had it for almost a year. I seldon sew on it,for fear I will mess up the item I am embroidering on. It has terrible  bird nest,bottom thread comes to the top.I cringe when I think I may have to use it,for the PES format. I went out and bought a Janome 300E.Which I dearly love. I think I would like the Brother,if I could just learn the darn thing,not be afraid of it. I have changed thread,needles ,tension,oiled,cleaned,.We bought  it while on a vac. 70 miles away,so I guess I will continue to worry with it. M
hammockhanger  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 11:46:49 AM(UTC)

I find this a very easy machine to use.  I never had to pick up a manual as it was so user friendly.  Perhaps you need to bring it in for servicing and start fresh. Sue/HH

nelta  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:16:01 PM(UTC)

Ann,

I read your article about your Brother machine. I too am a Brother fan. I moved from a Brother Inovis 1000 to a Brother Duetta 4500D. This is a dream machine. I absolutely love it. I am retired and just recently moved up from just sewing to sewing/embroidery. Wow what a wonderful world. I would buy Brother machine over any other. I really researched and tried almost every brand. Brother won hands down. The duetta 4500 is a dream come true.

Just thought that I would tell you my story. Nelta Balshaw

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:21:48 AM(UTC)

Bobbin thread showing through has two solutions.  First, make sure you are using bobbin thread in the bobbin.  It is slightly lighter in weight and you should see the color of your upper thread on the reverse side of your design (sort of striped). I.e., if top is red, you should see parallel red, white, red in very small increments running on each line of stitching. 

The second solution is that your tension needs to be adjusted.  Look at your tension control and increase the bobbin tension one or two increments.  That is part of your adjustable items you will find on the PE700 screen.

Pat

kitty1948  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:59:49 AM(UTC)

I have just seen your post, I have had the PE700 for about the same time, and had a similar problem, I took it back to the shop several times but nothing helped. In the end I emailed Brother and sent them pictures of the front and back of  items to show them the problem. A couple of days later a nice young man called me and told me I was using the wrong bobbin thread, I should have been using " 4936 Bobbin thread for Super Galaxies Super Ace and PE-300/400D/inovis-500/4000D (grey top) " it is the #60 thread even thought the manual says use the #90 thread which is the correct one for my old machine, the Brother PE150.

I tried it and he was right! So now I make sure only to use bobbin thread for innov-is machines.

Kitty 

nmart17  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:20:37 AM(UTC)

I am so glad to know that I am not the only person with this problem.  I have tried in vain to find information on this exact problem.  I have had the upper thread break numerous times with different thread brands and the white bobbin thread appearing on the top just on the edges.  When this happens it is almost the opposite of what it is supposed to look like on the back.  The colored thread is in the middle and the white (bobbin) is on the outside edges.  I have fiddled with the tension, cleaned the bobbin compartment and the upper threading compartment.  I thought it was just me, I have recently purchased a brother se270 (the one I am having problems with) and have used my MIL Esante with no problems. Thanks for all your suggestions.

robertdaniels  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:27:17 PM(UTC)

Please try the throw away bobbins -NEB  NATIONALEMBROIDERYBOBBINS-

BETTY

beamishboy  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 4:05:33 AM(UTC)

for macnsac: We will be posting a video within the next week or so of a demo of the PE-700 given by Jewell Hulitt, a Brother educator, at our recent Community Circle event in Orlando. It is more of an introduction than an in-depth demonstration, for people considering purchasing the machine rather than for those who already have it, but if the feedback is good, we will consider producing and adding more.

Once it goes up, you'll be able to see it here:

http://www.annthegran.com/Product.aspx?t=1&i=7306

alssweetheart  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 11:20:47 AM(UTC)

Something else you can try is to rethread your machine.  Pull out enough thread to go through your machines thread path, hold the thread firmly with your right hand and pull the thread through the normal thread path and thread the machine.  Sometimes you can adjust the tension for the top and the bobbin case. If you don't get the response from the dealer who sold you the machine call the Brother company.  They are very customer oriented.

The PE 700 is a nice machine.

Happy Embroidering!!

labgirl10  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2008 12:30:19 PM(UTC)

Hi the same thing happened to me when I first got the machine. all of my monograms would be white with the bobbin thread. I rethreaded the top thread. and still didn't work. I knew it was me the tension didn't work so I check the bobbin because I knew it had to go a certain way ( i think clockwise) sure enough i had it backwards. i redid the bobbins works like a champ. Just check you bobbin. Hope this helps

Teresa

asharper  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:24:12 AM(UTC)

HEY EVERYBODY I HAVE A BROTHER PE150 AND WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.  I FOUND OUT IT WAS NOT MY MACHINE.  I USE COATS AND CLARK EMBROIDERY THREAD.  SOMETIME THE THREAD SPOOL HAS A LITTLE SNAG ON THE SPOOL WHICH CAUSES TENSION IN THE THREAD. WHAT I DO BEFORE I USE A NEW THREAD IS TAKE MY SCISSORS, KNIFE OR A NAIL FILE AND SMOOTH  THE EDGES OF THE SPOOL.  I HAVE ALSO FOUND THIS PROBLEM WHEN MY NEEDLE BECOMES DULL AND NEED TO BE CHANGED.  TRY THESE AND SEE IF THEY HELP.

pat71896  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:56:43 AM(UTC)

I so agree with ASHARPER.  Coats, in my own opinion, does not hold up to the quality of other threads.  I have suspected that from almost day one.  It may be less expensive, but it sure does have frustration all over it!

There really is no definitive answer for bobbin peeking and broken threads.  Some machines seem to prefer one thread over another.  A design can have its own preferences as well.  If the design is 'dense' in its digitizing (layers or stitches per square inch) you will see different results too.  (Wait until you start to see loops on the under side of your design - - - ) You are going to start to look at the reverse sides to embroidering in the stores and appreciate the good work and the workmanship that should have ended up on the sewing room floor.

Testing by way of a 'sew out' is really the best answer and be observant of your machines' response.  I kept notes for a long time for this very reason. 

There are a lot of very patient people on these forums who have tried many things with varying measures of success. 

Pat

jjwagoner  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:03:37 PM(UTC)

I have a Brother Innov4000D and I have the same problem with the white bobbin thread showing on top.  The only way I can keep this from happening is to use Brother bobbin thread.  Why this is the only solution, I cannot answer but it works for me.  Hope this helps.  Jackie

marikee  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:13:24 PM(UTC)

I had a PE170D that was doing the birdnest thing you are talking about & it frustrated me to no end. I took it to "Cathey's Sew & Vaccum" they are in most JoAnn's, but this one is in Tucson, AZ and separate from the JoAnn's. They found out that the tension return spring was broken, they repaired it and it worked great. Sometimes they just need to be adjusted. Hope this might help you.JM 

pat71896  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:43:31 AM(UTC)

In my humble (but loveable) opinion, the PE700 machine is a work of art.

It is very user friendly.  It is very full of features.  It is a reasonably priced device for beginner and pro alike.

If it is really not functioning properly, I believe your source can fix it so that you will totally enjoy your new hobby.  The design of the machine is really state of the art for the price range.

Pat

baybeshell  
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:37:33 AM(UTC)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my PE700! The only time I had a problem with the bobbin thread showing on top, I just took the bobbin out, and rethreaded it again. Weird.. I know. I guess I wasn't paying attention and somehow goofed up a very SIMPLE process. I can't offer much help in that area.

I totally agree that if you have trouble, take it to someone who knows what they are doing. You'll love your machine, but if you have trouble, that will hinder your love!

hannahrickard1000  
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:29:07 AM(UTC)

Hi, I have a 190D, 5 years old and every time I use a different bobbin thread than brothers I have problems.  I have just had the machine serviced, not cheap £140, about $250 but the machine is working better than ever.  After speaking to the service engineer I will only use brother threads from now on.

Hannah Rickard

rnh  
#20 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:17:24 AM(UTC)

I'm so glad to hear people talk about specific bobbin thread! I haven't had any problems but am new at ME. I wasn't told during my free lessons after purchasing the machine that specific bobbin thread was needed for embroidery. Is it ONLY with embroidery or with routine sewing also?

Can anyone tell me what is the best size needle to use for embroidery? Or does it depend on the type of fabric?

I have an Innovis 4000D.... a lot of machine for a beginner, but my husband doesn't think small! What a nice guy!