Notification

Icon
Error

Options
nanamoms  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:23:10 PM(UTC)

Just a quick queston about the weight of the bobbin thread...I just purchased my PE700II and it came with 60wt Brother Bobbin Thread.  BUt in the manual and on the Brother site it really recommends 90wt.  Does anyone has an answer to this conflicting statement.  I am using the 60Wt in the machine but I don't won't problems down the road.  Also, I haven't seen 90wt in any bobbin thread.

Another queston?  What about pre-wound bobbins.  Again, there seems to be a conflict on the bobbin size.  Some dealers/sites say Class L and some say Class 15.  Very confusing.  Both machines came with bobbins which I make sure I use and I believe the manuals say Class 15.

HELP, TIA

Carolyn in MS

I also own the SE270D and it has the same conflicting statements.

itsjustme  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:30:48 PM(UTC)

fhat's odd. mine came with size 90 thread. I emailed them and asked them and they said the 90 is for embroidery only machines as it pulls down on the top thread so no bobbin thread shows through. I did buy a box. you can get it at brothermall.com

I did buy some colored thread in sixty though, like for free standing lace, I don't think it will mess up the machine because I am just using it for to be able to match with top color on free standing lace. but they did say the bobbin thread in the 90 was tested and worked the best. did you buy your machine new? if you bought it refurb. then that might be just what they put in there.

shelleyjr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:39:18 AM(UTC)

I have a PE-700II and it came with #90 bobbin thread. When I ran out, I purchased bobbin thread from my local Brother dealer and they sold me #60. After using the #60 I have had bird nesting plus the upper thread keeps breaking. I called Brother and the guy said to use only #90 in my machine. The #60 is used in sewing/embroidery combo machines. He said that the #60 can mess up your tension. 

shelleyjr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:42:19 AM(UTC)

I have a PE-700II and it came with #90 bobbin thread. When I ran out, I purchased bobbin thread from my local Brother dealer and they sold me #60. After using the #60 I have had bird nesting plus the upper thread keeps breaking. I called Brother and the guy said to use only #90 in my machine. The #60 is used in sewing/embroidery combo machines. He said that the #60 can mess up your tension. 

pattiann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:14:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

So sorry to hear of the mix-up.  Make sure you call this to the attention of the dealer and his/her staff.  They may not know, or someone may have grabbed the wrong spool.

Babylock Emore was the first embroidery only machine to come out with the 90 WT bobbin thread. 

Your service person can adjust the bobbin tension for you if you want to use prewounds (which are 60wt) or the more common 60 wt bobbin thread.

Threading the upper thread with the presser foot down can also result in bird nests.

When this happens, it is best to open the throat/needle plate, remove the bobbin and bobbin case any make sure the area is clear of lint and thread tails/snips.

When doing this, note how the bobbin case fits into the machine so it can be placed back into the proper position.

shelleyjr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:46:42 AM(UTC)

Hi Pattiann,

Thanks for the tip to thread the machine with the presser foot up. I do think for the most part that I am doing that, but I will make sure to always do it in the future.

My machine is in the shop because the needle bar is rubbing against metal. I have only had my machine since January 2009. I did put over 1 million stitches on it in about 2 months. I was told to get it serviced every 700K stitches. Do you take yours in after 700K stitches? The guy from Brother Intl. told me that today.

Shelley

pat71896  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:47:28 AM(UTC)

Very interesting!  I have been using the #60 weight, but that #90 just is a great idea.  I love the pre-wound bobbins and would not use others except when I am doing FSL.

Any other ideas out there?

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

shelleyjr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:34:38 AM(UTC)

Pat,

From what I understand, the pre-wound bobbins are #60. If your machine works fine with them, then you are in luck. I know MY machine doesn’t like the #60. All my problems started when I was using the #60 bobbin thread.

Shelley

pattiann  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:17:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Carolyn,

It could be Brother changed the bobbin case tension so 60 wt can be used and it is the older models that use 90wt.  It is also possible the manual and website have not been updated. 

If the 60wt works, it works!

Babylock came out with the Emore, an embroidery only machine which was the first EM to use 90wt bobbin thread.  At that time only BL had 90wt, Finishing Touch bobbin thread. 

Now more vendors have this weight thread.  http://www.icanhelpsew.c...janome-bobbinthread.html

Embroidery only machines normally use class L bobbins.  

Combos usually come with class 15 and to use the prewounds, a bobbin center pin had to be used because the prewounds were L only and shorter in heigth. 

Now, some vendors have prewounds in class 15.  http://www.allstitch.net/department/prewound-machine-embroidery-bobbins-10002.cfm?killnav=1

Some Emore owners have requested their service tech change the tension on the bobbin case so they could use the 60wt prewounds.

Pattiann

jlittle0213  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:17:34 AM(UTC)

Boy am I glad I found this forum.  I just purchased a PE-700II two weeks ago and was ready to return it to the store until I found out I was using the wrong bobbin thread (I did my research before purchasing this model too).  I had no idea there were different weight bobbin threads.  I was using the prefilled and apparently I was not suppose to be doing that.  Brother told me use the 90 weight that they sent with the machine.  I started using that but still had a little bit of a problem and did not like the looks of the back of my work.  So I went to Jo-Ann's and purchased three different bobbin threads.  Gutermann - no weight on the thread, Sulky - fine, Coats and Clark - 70 weight.  I had an SE270D before this machine and it liked the Gutermann embroidery thread, so I started with that bobbin thread.  The machine sailed along with no problems.  I got through one whole design without the thread breaking.  So I am going to stick with Gutermann.  Besides that there is not a Brother dealer in my area and I would have to order my thread from them.  I can not believe they made a machine that was dependtant on their thread.  There is only one place somewhat close to me that sells Brother machines but they only sell the higher end ones, starting at $1200 and up and they do not sell brother thread.  They will work on machines they do not sell.  I wonder if the problems I was having with the other machine was because I was also using the pre-wound bobbins.  That was not the reason I replaced it thought, it was because I wanted to be able to do larger designs.  the SE270D  did a fantastic job.   I use PE-Basic and have several designs that I have purchased from several places on line. 

I am having one more problem with it that I did not have with the other machine and that is, you know how sometimes when you do a design they will keep going over one spot with several colors, wiell by the third color it is like the needle does not want to come back out and it lifts up the fabric with, so I have to sit right there and keep a light finger on the fabric so it will not do that.  I have even switched to a larger needle in the middle of the design to see if that will help but it didn't.

Sorry if I went on too long.  Have a good day.

shelleyjr  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:57:08 AM(UTC)

Hello and Welcome!

I am lucky since there is a Babylock dealer near me and they carry the #90 weight bobbin thread in white. They are getting the black in since I asked for it. What is really odd is that the Brother dealer doesn’t carry the #90 weight? From what I understand the PE 700II and the PE 750 both need this #90 weight bobbin thread. You would think they would carry it. So if you have a Babylock dealer near you ask them if they have the #90.

I have the same problem you do when stitching out designs that have multiple passes over the same area. I have to lightly hold the fabric down. I tried a larger needle and it didn’t do any better on my machine either. I think that there is a limit to stitch density on a home machine but I am no expert on this.

Shelley

jlittle0213  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:35:31 AM(UTC)

I am sure glad that I found this forum because I really thought it was my machine and I was ready to return it to the store.  After seeing your post and some elses post I am finding out that I am not the only one with this problem.  I've had to lightly hold the fabric down also.   The 90 weight came with my machine and when I tried it I did not like the way the back of my work looked.  I tried the Gutermann and it did a good job so I am going to stick with that.  I think you are right about the stitch density on home machines but I thought that when I purchased designs in the PES I was getting what would work with my machine.  My sister said what helped her was that she has an adjustable pressure foot so when she started having that trouble (and she paid more for her machine then I did mine) she raised her foot up.  I've looked and I can not do that.

lunashadow  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:03:15 AM(UTC)

Hi Everyone,

Is this bobbin thread weight discussion specific to this machine?  Now I am wondering about it myself for my own machine.(I don't have this specific machine, but it has me thinking and doubting now..back to occasional past problems).I chalked it up to being a 'newbie.

I am interested in this discussion...thanks

Luna