Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
annthegran  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 5:06:54 AM(UTC)

How do you like the Madeira Thread Treasure Chest? Click on 'Reply' and tell me what you like about it, what you don't like about it, and why someone else should or shouldn't buy it.

lself1  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:13:25 AM(UTC)

I ordered the treasure chest when I was a newbee to ms and I love it.   I have rarely had to run to the store to purchase the proper thread when I come up with one of those spur-of-the-moment items.   Of course I do a lot of thread substitutions because I don't have the exact color called for, but so far have been able, most of the time, to get very close matches.   The chest has extra drawer space so that you can add more colors also. I wish I had known at the time that they also have the treasure chest in polyester thread.   Since I have learned more, I now try to  use polyester most of the time since it doesn't fade in the wash like rayon does, but tjhe rayon is great for those "special" gifts like framed items or wall hangings, christening gowns and other things that are never or less frequently washed. When I save enough pennies I intend to order the polyester assortment too.

Linda

fmatson702  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:19:50 AM(UTC)

Hi Ann, I am fairly new to this embroidery endeavor, and the first thing I purchased was the Medeira Thread Treasure Chest. I was thrilled with the great variety of colors and had great success in making my gt. grandchildren each a quilt containing blocks of my own embroidery. Thanks for all your help on your site.   Fern

huntrmh  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:28:51 AM(UTC)

I think the Madeira Thread chest was a great way to start embroidering However I found I liked bigger spools of thread for some of my projects. I aslo until reading this blog did not know how to get refills for certain colors.  I would like to state that I took a couple of classes when I got my sewing machine and if I didn't learn anything else I got the message when one lady in the class said she kept a special credit card for ordering on line. She had a problem with idenity theft and they had gotten into her bank account. I went out and got a credit card with a small balance and the most I can be out is $500. Others might learn from this also.

bpotts  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:41:33 AM(UTC)

I got my Madeira treasure chest when I first started embroidering several years ago.  Since I hadn't built up a thread stash, it was great  because I could usually find the color I needed or a good substitute. 

However, my local sewing store has started carrying larger spools of a different brand and I tend to buy for specific projects (like quilts) so they are more handy.  I really like the Madeira thread and find that when I go to embroidery classes that's the ones I grab.  I find there are a lot of colors I don't use regularly in my chest so use them up practicing in the classes.  Hopefully the thread doesn't deteriorate too much with age as the chest is now about 6 years old and I still haven't used some of the spools.

borden47  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 6:11:38 AM(UTC)

LOVE IT! 

When I first began machine embroidering, I purchased the Madeira Embroidery Thread Box containing 80 spools of thread.  It served its' purpose at the time.  It was half the cost of the Madeira Embroidery Thread Chest.However, I was continually looking for colors that did not exist in this thread box. 

Then I received the Madeira Embroidery Thread Chest as a gift and was like a kid in a candy store.  Budget permitting, I would highly recommend this chest.  Each spool has a Madeira color code number on the end and the same number corresponds to that spool slot in the chest.  Therefore, re-ordering could not be more simple.  The additional space in the chest allows for seam rippers, embroidery scissors, etc.  I also had room to keep a few spools of bobbin thread (Brother) as well.

Joan/NJ

maysonsnana  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 8:11:07 AM(UTC)

I use the Madeira Thread Treasure Chest for many of my projects, and love it. I really like the fact that the thread slots are labeled so you know where to put the thread back and can see what you're running out of. I do wish that the poly thread chest didn't cost so much more tho. I have switched to poly for most of my projects now, so that's what I buy the most of. If money was no object, my perfect thread chest would be a bigger version of the Treasure Chest with bigger spools of Madeira Poly Neon thread.

pat71896  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 4:08:58 AM(UTC)

I have been eyeing that Thread Chest too.  The reality is that the spools are costing less than $2.00 each which is really a bargain. 

I look at my 'makeshift' chest of threads I have purchased over time and I have a mess with loose strings everywhere, I have no idea what I do and do not have, and no way to organize them because they are various sizes and shapes. 

I know I have more than $300 in thread, including the bargains(?) but don't have what I actually need.  I do a lot of animals, and they tend to be in the brown and grey family of colors.  If I see some of those shades when I am out, I might pick them up.  BUT, I get home and find it to be a duplicate.  What a mess!!!  One time I bought something that was 100 spools for $100.  I got a lot of leftover colors that are minimally usable.  I try to use them in my test sewouts, but they have a poor stitch ability with lots of breakage. 

With this chest, well, you have no questions or messes in addition to having a quality you know and trust.  We chose to buy one at a time and be disorderly or spend a little more for a one time investment and have something that helps us keep organized. 

If I were to do it all again, I would bite the bullet and get the chest. 

jalcumbrack  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:46:54 PM(UTC)

Hi Pat;

One tip that may or may not help , I set up a tally sheet in my excell . When I get a new thread color I add it to the list,when I am out of a color I put a star by it so when I go to the store I have a printed list of the ones I need to buy  or replace. I got the idea from my hubby, he does the same thing with the movies we have. So far it has worked pretty well and doesn't require a lot of time,except at the initial making of the list. if I get a new color I add it when I get home and that way it is there.

Also ,you must have bought the same thread I did,LOL. Lots of colors but too many that are unusable and it breaks and is a mess. I finally got rid of all mine. I have been looking at the Maderia Thread Chest as well and is on my list too. I keep hoping hubby will see it for my birthday or something. I may have to send him an e-mail LOL.I have used Maderia thread and like it a lot. It is usually dependable. I too wished I would have saved my money and bought it. It sure would have saved a lot of headaches for sure.

wfmclean  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:22:03 AM(UTC)

Just want everyone to know how wonderful the chest of threads really is. It felt like Christmas present when I received it, with all the extra goodies inside.

kt3234  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:25:24 AM(UTC)

I ordered the Madeira Thread Treasure Chest Bundle on October 13, 2009. I just received it two days ago. I did have one issue with my Ann the Gran Essentials CD being missing but Customer Service really stepped up to the plate! They sent me out a CD and expressed shipped it, unbeknownst to me! Now that is Quality Service. In addition they issued me a $20 store credit! I am thrilled beyond words. Now back to the Thread Chest. This thread is truly of the highest quality. I stitched out my first item with it last night and am so pleased. The thread just really stands out. My t shirt looks better than any I have seen in the stores! I know this is a big purchase but you really have to look at what is included. The Amazing Designs Greatest Hits Bundle (some are their premium design collections), and the Ann The Gran Essentials CD. Plus you get lots of other goodies. Another CD with 82 designs on it, seam ripper, stabilizer, the list goes on. I felt like a kid in a candy store when I opened it up! I will highly recommend this product to my friends who embroider and to purchase from Ann The Gran for outstanding products and customer support. Thank you to all who helped me with my order, especially Keri. kt3234 (Karen E. Kasper)

sonofanewbe  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:18:13 AM(UTC)

Hi...

My Mom loves her chest!!  Unfortunately she one of the trays had gotten damaged (when she forgot to close the back door of her Explorer and it fell out)...  Can anyone advise if there is a way to get replace trays...?  I've tried searching on the WWW but so far have had no luck.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks

sonofanewbe  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:52:04 PM(UTC)

Sorry... should have put "Madeira Thread chest"... should have read it over before sending...

Thanks again !!

pattiann  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:18:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Have you tried contacting Madeira by e-mail.  Give the details as to where you purchased the chest and they may come up with a solution for you.

http://www.madeirausa.com/index.cfm?x=1663834

sonofanewbe  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:53:26 AM(UTC)

yes... even called them (Madeira USA 800-225-3001) and was told this was not one of their products and was given another number to try, Tacony (800-537-8891) who then gave me this other number (800-245-5116) and was told there that they did not sell parts but could keep checking back incase they have one returned and might be able to help me then...

pcochran  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 11:40:31 AM(UTC)

I purchased my chest not long after I purchased my Bernina.  It was the best investment I have made beside my machine.  Sometimes the colors the design calls for are not in the chest but you can come pretty close.  The web site I purchased mine from was running a sale so I was doubly happy.. I even bought my sister a chest for her birthday.  I order my refills from the web and never run out.  Love it, love it, love it!!!! 

pat71896  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 7:19:12 AM(UTC)

I sew agree with you!!! 

I have a mix of threads, but the Madeira is my favorite.  It never gives me trouble and the colors are rich. 

When we first start out with this great craft, we don't realize that we will need 15 shades of blue, and 20 shades of red, etc.  Your chest is the result of knowing what sells and what is required for heirloom quality projects.

Congratulations on your wise purchase!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer 

nancysheehy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:24:55 PM(UTC)

Would like to find a empty chest for all the madeira threads I have but I can't find one.

pat71896  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:32:51 AM(UTC)

I was thinking something similar the other day.  Then I looked at all the sizes and shapes of the thread I have and wonder what I can do with them.  This is just a few of the sizes, there are thin spools, spools like standard thread both short and tall and the list goes on and on.

I  use the stacking and use straws to extend the posts (more info at my blog on straws and tips).  Then, when not in use, I cover it with a light weight piece of fabric.  There are 4 sizes in this photo alone.

For your specific issue, I would look for sites that have specific 'sell and buy' areas.  I just sold a camera at EmbroideryBillboard. 

You will need to be patient.  It could take a few months or you may get lucky.

If anyone has any clever tricks that they use for taming the spool monster, let us know.  It is becoming complicated!!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

nancysheehy  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:30:59 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the advise...I really appreciate it..and the tips too. Will keep in touch... thanx. Nancy