Notification

Icon
Error

Options
maddierae  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:04:35 AM(UTC)

I am doing a design that will have two lines in poly Maderia and a Irish rope design in matallic - probably Maderia, also.  Is it necessary to switch needles for the matallic thread?  Also, after spending serveral hours trying to find multi-colored thread in red and silver, I have given up.  Does anyone know if this exists?  We are doing school colors; not many choices for colors.

Thank you,

Maddierae

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:58:31 AM(UTC)

I enjoy doing things for schools.  There is so much enthusiasm and excitement.

You will absolutely want to use a "Metallic Needle."  They have a larger hole and often other small advantageous.  In addition, you may (actually 'should') use a 'packing peanut' which are styrofoam.  You will use a needle to create a very small opening in the 'peanut' and put your thread through the peanut before threading your machine.

Be sure that you use your slowest speed on your machine.  Do not use a large amount of stabilizer because it causes additional friction to the thread.  You may experience breakage.  Make sure that your thread is fresh, old threads dry out.  I don't recommend buying from places like eBay because if you find cheap thread, there is a reason that it is being sold for less money.  Check your spool for dents because dents means that the thread has been dropped.  Those dents cause 'kinks' which is very bad for embroidery thread, metallic or not.

Newer threads are getting better.  To my knowledge, no one has perfected a metallic thread that has excellent sheen and does not break from time to time.

On the issue of the duo colored thread, you may want to consider getting a lighter weight thread.  The 40 weight is the normal recommendation for most embroiderery.  Choose a red and a silver at 60 weight (non-metallic) and you may have a close version of what you want.  Thread both threads into the same needle.

Let us see how it works for your project.  You can upload a photo by Creating or Responding to a Forum thread.  Select the Film Strip icon on the Tool Bar and follow the prompts. 

Good Luck!  Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

maddierae  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:27:11 PM(UTC)

Thank you so much
for all the info.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a different
needle for the metallic since I would have to change it at the end of
every logo stitch-out.  Also, I thought about this after I put on forum,
will metallic sew on polyester warm-up jackets as well as regular thread. 

You said to use two threads at a lighter  weight - can I safely expect a
good job, doing this on the Brother PE700II?  I know it is rather picky,
especially the bobbin - needing 90 wt. thread!  I eventually want to
get my bobbin set to use any wt, so I can use colors other than white or black, AND save money! 

I really appreciate the advice and don't worry, I am very leery of
getting anything on EBAY, actually.  If this works like I want it to, I will post it.  Thanks

PS: I Googled  "peanut, metallic thread" and found your article about using it.  A lot of very good information. :)

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:33:13 AM(UTC)

I am glad you find the info helpful.  Machine embroidery can be wonderful and frustrating at the same time!  (Voice of experience!)

I did not mention that I highly recommend you go to your local charity store and purchase something as similar as possible to your fabric.  You will use the item to do a 'discovery sew' which is my way of saying 'see what happens.'

Not every idea will work with every fabric, design, density and stabilizer (to mention a few of the issues possible).  Your discovery sew will allow you to see if the duo of thread will work. 

Regarding the bobbin - IMHO - and it is my opinion ONLY - that bobbin case is a problematic one.  Stick with the 90 weight bobbin thread.  You can use the same color, therefore the same weight, 40, and it will work.  I assume that you are talking about free standing lace.  While the use of the same color for both is really beautiful, it is generally not very practical.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

junemellinger  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:11:15 AM(UTC)

Ladies you could all save yourself a lot of grief by using Brother Metallic thread....no need for special needles, thread nets or peanuts.  If you google Brother Metallic Embroidery thread you will see plenty of places that sell it. 

Regards,

June Mellinger

maddierae  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:51:38 AM(UTC)

I know there are several web sites that sell "kits", but I want to get single spools.  I need to make sure I have enough on hand to take care of the amount of logos that are anticipated.  I found gold and silver on bigger spools through Threadsrus, but it is not specific as to the mfg. They are available on Amazon. 

Several hrs before receiving your post, I used some ARC that a friend loaned me; it sewed beatifully w/o changing needles - I did slow the machine down as insurance, but the finished product was wonderful.  Finding ARC is also difficult although I did see where Mon-Rex is made by ARC, but same story.  Brother says they have it in individual spools, but I am trying to find out where I can buy it.  In looking up "stores in your area", none of them seem to stock!  If anyone knows an answer to this, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank You

kt3234  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:29:32 PM(UTC)

[quote user="maddierae"]

I know there are several web sites that sell "kits", but I want to get single spools.  I need to make sure I have enough on hand to take care of the amount of logos that are anticipated.  I found gold and silver on bigger spools through Threadsrus, but it is not specific as to the mfg. They are available on Amazon. 

Several hrs before receiving your post, I used some ARC that a friend loaned me; it sewed beatifully w/o changing needles - I did slow the machine down as insurance, but the finished product was wonderful.  Finding ARC is also difficult although I did see where Mon-Rex is made by ARC, but same story.  Brother says they have it in individual spools, but I am trying to find out where I can buy it.  In looking up "stores in your area", none of them seem to stock!  If anyone knows an answer to this, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank You

I found some individual spools at http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/threadtn.htm

Best of luck to you. Thank you, kt3234 Karen

maddierae  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:51:22 PM(UTC)

Thank you................!!!!!  When I went to this site, I remember the big red question marks.  I had found it several months ago, but wasn't looking for metallic at the time.  Have you had good luck with using their metallic?  The nighmare in this whole thing is not being able to have a unique look to an otherwise rather mundane logo.  The difference in the thread will sell it.  Appreciate your reply.

kt3234  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:59:58 PM(UTC)

[quote user="maddierae"]

Thank you................!!!!!  When I went to this site, I remember the big red question marks.  I had found it several months ago, but wasn't looking for metallic at the time.  Have you had good luck with using their metallic?  The nighmare in this whole thing is not being able to have a unique look to an otherwise rather mundane logo.  The difference in the thread will sell it.  Appreciate your reply.

You're welcome! Yes, I have used their metallics and have been pleased with the results. I hope you find what you are looking for and that your project comes out great, as I am sure it will! I know what you mean. I find that the threads chosen can make all the difference. Happy embroidering to you, kt3234 Karen

maddierae  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:38:32 AM(UTC)

I just have one more question...........did you have to change needles?  The metallic will be used at the end of each logo.  When I used the ARC, no needle change was necessary, which makes doing the logo much faster and easier on me and the machine.  (I keep thinking about having to loosen that screw over and over again!)

kt3234  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:59:01 AM(UTC)

[quote user="maddierae"]

I just have one more question...........did you have to change needles?  The metallic will be used at the end of each logo.  When I used the ARC, no needle change was necessary, which makes doing the logo much faster and easier on me and the machine.  (I keep thinking about having to loosen that screw over and over again!)

I did use a metallic needle as that is what is recommended when using metallic thread. Hope this helps and have fun! kt3234 Karen

maddierae  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:40:49 AM(UTC)

Thanks for information;  I have narrowed choices down to metallic and multi-colored, but metallic would look better and multi would be easier and faster to sew.

Waiting for threads to arrive, then it is decision time.