Notification

Icon
Error

Options
dcisar  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:15:57 PM(UTC)

I've noticed that several packages include PES1 and PES5 versions instead of just the PES.  I have the new Brother Quattro 6000D and am fairly new to embroidery.  Can someone tell me which format is better for me to use?  Thanks!!

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:35:58 AM(UTC)

I used the PES1.  I have contacted Support to determine what the difference is on these.  I do have Vista and that may be the issue.  Support is not on duty on Sundays, so I expect to hear from them tomorrow.

I hope you are enjoying your new found craft.  Participants tend to get addicted and it is a great way to create wonderful items as gifts and keepsakes.

I have a business (http://shessochic.etsy.com) and I have several clients who order tote bags for the children in their gift giving world.  I have done some for 4 year olds and up to whatever.  They tell me that the bags are a hit at parties because the mothers of the birthday child sees something useful instead of breakable and temporary.  Those denim bags are great for these.

It is great to share your craft with others, creative and beautiful!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

dcisar  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:22:55 AM(UTC)

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for the help and advice.  I've looked at both versions of a pattern and although the colors sometimes map differently, I haven't been able to detect a difference in the pattern itself.  I have to admit, I haven't studied it in detail but it seems like the version that looks "better" is sometimes PES1 and sometimes PES5.

I have PE-Design 8 and it is the most complex application I have ever seen.  Since my day job is computer related and I've been an avid user for many years, I figured it would be easy to master - WRONG!!  So I also haven't really done much with pulling the designs up that way, mainly just in the machine itself.   

You're absolutely right - I'm definitely addicted!  Your tip about the tote bags is a great idea.  So far, I haven't tried to sell any of my crafts but have been making all sorts of gifts and cards for family and friends.  I love the creativity and making gifts that people really appreciate.  Baby blankets have been a big hit, as have monogrammed napkins and towels.

I'm going to check out your site next!

Debbie

pattiann  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:02:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I found this information in the manual for Designer's Studio software -

PES 5 is for a larger-field machine such as Ellageo (6.25 x 10.25) and the EMP6.  It also allows the real thread information is be used. 

PES 6 is for machines such as the Babylock Ellegante which require a Palette 6.0 file to make use of their largest hoop. 

The Ellegante hoop size being referred to is 12" x 7".

Since the manual was written, larger-field machines are now available.

atgadmin  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 3:22:10 AM(UTC)

Hi:

we have to provide PES1 for customers who have older machine that does not support the newer version of PES files.we do not have a list of which machine reads which format better but just to remind you that we have CatalogXP that allows you to convert files from PES1 upto PES6.

Hope this helps.

Annthegran Support

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 3:40:50 AM(UTC)

Debbie - Pattiann has some interesting information.  I did get a response from Support and they said that there were variations of PES for different machines.  They recommended checking which one works for your machine.  As Pattiann noted, machines are changing all the time, so what works today could be different tomorrow.

Thanks for checking out my Etsy site.  If you are considering selling on the Internet, Etsy has some definite advantages over Ebay, starting with the costs of listing.  Etsy has a flat rate of 20 cents per item and 3.5% for the sale which is a better deal all around.

Additionally, I have an Excel (works with other spreadsheets as well) spreadsheet that defines how to determine what to charge for your work.  There are so many variables included in the worksheet that you will find it to be a fair and accurate method to determine charges.

Also, Greg (a favorite friend here at ATG) has also created a Guide to Promote Your Business on Facebook which is a really good method to help you get the word out to buyers.

I did not mean to turn this in to an advertisement, but it helps to know that help is available right here, at your fingertips.  This is all geared toward embroidery, so you have a leg up already.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

dcisar  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 5:28:31 AM(UTC)

Thanks Pat, Pattiann and ATG Support.  All of your comments and suggestions are very helpful.  I suspected that the higher number was the better choice but I'll do some more digging in my various manuals to see what might be best for my machine.  I wasn't able to find anything on the Brother web site.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and time with me!

Debbue

sand33647  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 8:40:03 AM(UTC)

OK Pat, (AKA ATG Great Computerd Wizard & CatX Guru) I had posted a question just prior to this one about not being able to open any .pes designs other than "Expresso Yourself". I tried to go through the back door by going to CatX, finding the design and saving to a folder in my PED-Basic. It saved but shows as a .psf file rather than a .pes file. I've contacted support, but thought that you might have an answer. Could all of the other designs in the PES1 folder have been accidently in the PSF format? That might explain why I can't get to them.

Thanks,

Shanon