Notification

Icon
Error

Options
mrscw  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 6:22:53 AM(UTC)

It's just not working!

I've done EVERYTHING instructed to do... changed the needle to a ballpoint needle (for working on items which have 'stretch'), am using 'STITCH N TEAR' stabiliser, am using 90w Brother bobbin thread, am using 100% Viscose Gutermann Upper Thread.... and the upper thread is still needing to be re-thread like HEAPS! The lower thread is coming through onto the stitching.

Basically, it's horrendous.

I actually feel as if I've wasted £1000

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:32:45 AM(UTC)

Don't give up yet!!!

You may be best off to just take it to your dealership and have it looked at.  In the meantime, believe me when I say a bobbin case can be the problem here.  Remove your bobbin case and clean it with a small paint brush or cotton swap.  Don't use water, just clean out any dust or thread that may be there.

I strongly recommend that you go to my blog on Needles and toward the bottom, there is several tension tests.  Chose the right one for your machine and test it with your needle and thread.  Adjust per the information in your instruction book.

I also recommend that you use something like Sew Easy or Sew Ease (I cannot remember the name) which is a silicone based liquid that you place a few drops on your thread.  It helps reduce thread breaks.

Let us know how you are doing.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:43:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I believe it is recommended that you use a cut away stabilizer for knits, but that is not the reason for the need to re thread.

Is your machine an auto thread or manual?  If you have to manually thread the machine, try doing so with the presser/embroidery foot in the up position.

Why are you using 90wt bobbin thread - it that the weight required by the brand/model of machine you are using?

Open the area where the bobbin is located and make sure it is free of lint and threads. You may have to remove the throat plate and take out the bobbin case to insure a thorough cleaning.

If the problem persists no matter what you are stitching, there is a possibility that the timing needs adjusting, which will require a trip to the service department.