Notification

Icon
Error

Options
ljelton@hotmail.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:53:04 AM(UTC)

I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of a Brother PE 780D embroidery  machine and want to know what kind of material should I purchase for practice.  Also,  I want to make a quilt using embroidered blocks;  what is the best material to use for this purpose and should I consider a special stabilizer???  ANY suggestions anyone can make will sure be appreciuated....Thanks in advance...Joan

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:13:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I am answering this for anyone new to Machine Embroidery (ME).

I remember the anticipation.  When I  got my EM (Embroidery Machine) home it sat on the dinning room table while I just looked at it for a couple days.

I have found it is best to begin the "new machine journey" with the manual - no matter if you are new to the craft or seasoned, embroidery machine or sewing machine. 

Just sitting down and reading the manual is sure to put you to sleep.  I hope my answer does not have the same affect. Wink

Open the manual while sitting at the new machine.  You will need machine embroidery thread (rayon is the most popular, but poly is better for items that may come in contact with clorine) machine embroidery bobbin thread (this is not the same weight as the embroidery thread for a very good reason) quilting weight cotton, stabilizer (light weight tear-away for most, and cut-away for letters/numbers) and scissors.  For sewing, a good brand of general purpose poly thread (cotton for quilting), fabric scraps and scissors.

The first feature, after all the warnings about this and that, will be bobbin winding.  You can use ME bobbin thread or pre-wound bobbins.  The pre-wounds usually hold more thread than the ones wound on the EM.  If your machine is a combo, refer to the manual to see if there is one bobbin case for embroidery and one for sewing.  You may also need to use a bobbin center pin (placed under the bobbin) if you use prewounds that are shorter than a regular bobbin.  This should also be in the manual. 

Thread the machine according to the instructions.  This may require having the presser foot up to ensure the thread feeds properly through the tension during the threading process.

Hoop the fabric and stabilizer, then test some of the built-in designs. 

If you click on LINKS at the bottom of any ATG screen you will find many resources.

I could not find this one - http://www.amazon.com/Em..._bxgy_b_img_b among those listed.  However, it is the one I started with. 

If you wish to download from the Internet, there are tons of places where you can make purchases or choose free designs.  Make sure your selection is the correct format for your machine and the size is within the hoop that came with the machine.

99% of ME software is Windows based.  If you use Mac, additions may have to be made.

Before collecting downloads, create a folder on the computer hard drive and name it ME Downloads.  Downloads are compressed/zipped for faster download and the file will have to be opened/extracted/unzipped.  The term depends on how your computer's operating system was designed.  Once the design file has been opened, give it an easy to understand title.  For example Red Rose is easier to recognize than rr897.  As your collection grows, make sub-folders and name them - flowers, sports, quilting are examples.

You will find that you cannot see the design until it is loaded onto the EM.  To view the files on the computer you will need a basic catalog software program.

Embrilliance Thumbnailer http://www.annthegran.co...?t=1&i=41391 is the least expensive that I have found for just viewing and organizing.  It can be used with Windows or Mac.

Catalog X http://www.annthegran.co...amp;i=2567 provides viewing, organizing, a bit of editing and conversion.  Conversion is needed when you find a design that does not come in the format needed for your EM.  You can convert most formats.  There are a few that you cannot - Bernina .art is one.

There are several Brother EM models that will accept the Brother iBroidery format (your's is one).  These designs cannot be converted for use on any other embroidery machine - just those on the list at iBroidery.  iBroidery designs can be found at the Brother website - http://www.brother-usa.c...esignStudio/default.aspx

Getting the download to the ME can be done with a reader/writer unit and rewritable memory card, or if you are lucky to have an EM with a USB stick drive, no other software will be needed.  You may want to purchase extra drives.  They can be found at office supply stores, electronic stores, even the electronic department at WalMart.  Just don't get one that holds too much memory or the EM may not be able to open it.  If you plug the memory stick that came with the EM into the computer, you can find the amount of disk space available.  This could be a guide as to how much memory a stick should have to be compatible with your EM.

Back-up your collection of design files after adding or editing.  You can use an USB drive, disk, or floppy, depending on what your computer will accept.  Backing-up the files will save you a lot of heartache should the computer crash.

Good luck and best wishes.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:49:09 AM(UTC)

Pattiann's instructions are really good.  I do want to add a few of my own - most of us would do that because we all learn just a little differently.

I like to recommend that you start with an old denim article of clothing.  Denim is easy to embroider and forgiving to say the least.  I do recommend that you follow the steps as given in this tutorial:   

I also recommend that you play with your machine when you have quiet time.  Make lots of notes and return to this forum to ask questions and review other questions of interest to you.

Your manual is only for the machine, it does not give you embroidery instruction.  However, knowing your machine is truly important.  If you look at this blog you will see that sewing is different from embroidery and taking care of your machine is important.

Some other sites may have forum areas but I can honestly say that AnnTheGran is most organized and easily followed.  Return often and best wishes for happy embroidery!

ps:  Success is so much fun, however, failure is a chance to learn something about embroidery. 

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer