Notification

Icon
Error

Options
lmanis  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:18:08 AM(UTC)

My very sweet husband surprised me with a Brother PE770 about a week ago. I have spent HOURS and HOURS learning the basics of the machine and embroidery, and have finally made some progress. One of my main reasons in getting an embroidery machine was to be able to do custom monograming. This machine does not come with monogramming options, so I was told I would need to purchase software for my computer. 

I have no problem with buying software, as I would like to have many font options, etc. However, we are a Mac family (vs using a PC), and I have been told that there is not any software or machines that are compatible with Mac (including my Brother). I find this hard to believe, and am trying to avoid having to return my machine!!! :( Does anyone have any advice?????

I have been able to purchase appliques and embroidery designs online (using my Mac), load them onto my usb stick, and use them on my machine-so thus far, the Mac has not caused any issues here! I'm confused as to what issues I may run into by using a Mac?

I also have no clue what I am even looking for in software! I am completely unfamiliar with the terms, etc! At the end of the day, I just want to be able to monogram and be able to personalize (names, etc) various items with my machine! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :)

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:22:16 AM(UTC)

Ken Parson has one of the least expensive and best software that I personally have used.  It has a large number of Monograms built right into the software.  You can find many frames here as well.

I like Anna Bovee for monograms. They are currently on sale for as little as $2.50 for whole sets.  You do NOT need to contact the site to be sure that it will work on a Mac because these are standard monogram designs.

For the time being, I would use these types of monogramming designs until you have time to check out what may work best for you.  Be sure to ask the site about your computer and many of these software programs have limited trials available.  Give yourself time to play and seek - sort of a game we played as kids!  Monogram Wizard is recommended by lots of people. 

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

lmanis  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:52:28 AM(UTC)

Pat,

I took a look at the Ken Parson software, but it seems to have the same issue as all the rest,  in that it requires Windows as the operating system. Another question, once (or maybe I should say "if") I find software, am I able to purchase monograms/fonts from other sites and use them with any software? Or am I limited to the fonts/monograms that come with the software?

In order to use the Anna Bovee monograms, don't I have to have a software program first? This is another question I've had in diving into all this... haha. I am assuming that I do because I can't seem to find a way to customize or create a layout on my actual machine. I have been able to download fonts to my computer, save the letters I would like to use to my USB, and upload them on my machine, but I'm sure it would be a nightmare to get the layout, etc, just right by only using the machine, and not a software program.

This is where I am so lost!!! Thank you so much for your quick response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lesleigh

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:30:02 AM(UTC)

I understand.  You cannot do an "add" or "merge" with another design, i.e., letter then add the frame in the machine.

What I do (I have a 10 needle but sometimes have to use the PE770) is to carefully make sure that both my designs are centered.  I always use metric.  It takes some time to remember metric but once you know it, it is more accurate for placement than English.  Remember that 25mm is approximately 1" so there is a little bit of a clue to help.

So, if I have a monogram that is say 80mm by 100mm, I know that the letter(s) will center because the designs are made that way (most of them).  Here is the tip:  you need to do what I call a 'discovery' sew.  Some people call it a test sew and some call it a sew out.  Sew your frame on a scrap of paper and determine what the parameters are for the INSIDE of the frame.  You will know the outside because any machine will give that to you.  With a little practice, you will be able to do placement with little difficulty. 

It would be nice if digitizers could give you the approximate inside parameters.  I personally keep a notebook full of information of this sort.  Perhaps a 100mm by 120mm frame has the inside of 65mm by 80mm and I would put that into my notebook for reference.  It cannot be done simply by math, but you can get an idea of where the ending lines will approximately be.

And, BTW, I often overlap different things including frames.  I like to think of them as  creating a relationship between the letter and the frame.  Why not?  If someone were to (no one has) say that they overlap, I would say that the design is an integrated one, they are supposed to overlap. 

Those Anna Bovee monograms are just files that you use in the same way as a design. If there is a problem, I cannot see what it might be so let us all know. Incidental, I have a computer dedicated to my embroidery and the other for my personal use. The embroidery PC has Internet access so there are no real issues. If you don't have a PC around, I would bet that you could get a used one cheap - from a reliable source. That may be cheaper than software for your Mac. My grandson has both and I asked him why, he said each had their best uses and shortcomings.  Someday soon they will be one in the same.  Mac already has one that is compatible with Windows.  Tomorrow is always full of surprises.

I sell on Etsy as http://abrideseyeview.etsy.com and you are welcome to review what I personally do.  I am currently in the process of adding about 100 fonts and as many embellishments for the hankies as I am able to find. 

Play with the inexpensive designs and on your old clothing. 

Did you know that Steve Jobs is being heralded as one of histories great inventors?  He is being noted among people like Edison and Ben Franklin.  Isn't it wonderful that we live in a changing and wondrous time?

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pat71896  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:34:13 AM(UTC)

Ooops, I did not address the question about the software and other monograms -

Software is always proprietary, therefore, you can only use whatever they sell to you.  So software is not the only game in town.  That is why there are so many sites where you can just buy monograms and/or fonts (non-typewriter style) and designs. 

My site sells just a few monogrammed hankies, they are mostly thoughts of love for the recipient.  I personally wrote the following for a flower girl:

Your smile completes my
special day. My love
embraces you forever.
Carry this gift today and
on your own blissful
Wedding Day. 

Weddings are so full of love!  Pat

pattiann  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 4:30:33 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Embrilliace software will run on Windows or Mac - http://www.annthegran.co...uct.aspx?t=1&i=40238

You can use any .pes formatted designs or fonts with this or any other software program.

lmanis  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 11:52:42 AM(UTC)

Thank you! I had done some research on this software, but it seemed so new that I had a hard time finding out more information about it. I was able to contact their customer service, who answered all of my questions. Just downloaded the software, hoping it handles all of my needs! I'll let you guys  know!

Thanks again!!!