Notification

Icon
Error

Options
reallyrob  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 7:10:30 AM(UTC)

I just got a Brother PE 770 Embroidery machine. I really hate the manual that came with it, as it has very little of the information that I am looking for.

What kind of needles should I use for this machine? I am new to machine embroidery, so I also would like to know what size and kind of needles to use with different projects.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 7:24:56 AM(UTC)

We here at AnnTheGran love Newbies (loving name for you) and try to help as soon as possible.  The PE7** Series are all work horses that will be a great place to learn a new and really fun craft.

Here are the general pieces of information you probably don't yet have (in no particular order):

• Manuals are for the machine, not for teaching you embroidery. Embroidery has a learning curve for all of us.
  • I did create a blog on needles that may assist you.
  • There are places to get the information all over the net; however, IMHO, AnnTheGran has the most easy to find information available.
  • I recommend that you do the tutorial on this Forum Discussion for getting your feet wet.
  • Read, read and then play with your machine.  When you have worked through issues and get stumped - read some more.
  • You won't know all the terms so try to look at places like www.emblibrary.com where there are great specific tutorials.
  • Don't try to do towels, jackets, knits or silks until you have some experience.
  • Grab every loose piece of fabric you can get your hands on and do a lot of practicing. Denim is the best for a good start. Get out an old pair of jeans and put a design on a clear place.

Ask all the questions you can think of. Keep playing with the machine and different fabrics.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:15:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Manuals for sewing machines give the basics for operation and that is about all.

I use Organ brand, but you can use Schmetz, which is sold with sewing notions and have the flat shank.

Here is a chart - http://www.allstitch.net...selection-guide-1023.cfm

You may also find these techniques and tips helpful - http://www.emblibrary.co...der.aspx?page=techniques