Notification

Icon
Error

Options
grittybelle  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:52:45 AM(UTC)

Hi!  This is my first post, and I have just purchased my first computerized machine - an embroidery machine!  Way to step into the deep end huh?  I purchased the PE770 and while I think it's just nifty as all get out I have a small problem.  My bobbin thread is showing on the front of my work and you can see little to no top thread (the colored thread) on the top.  I am sooo confused!  What could I be doing wrong?  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 2:24:16 AM(UTC)

Welcome and you are not the first one to have this problem! 

It is likely that your bobbin thread is not in tension.  Rethread the bobbin, it should not be pulling out loosely, it should have a small drag on it.  Try that. 

If that does not work, call your dealer and ask their advise.  They should be able to offer advise and assistance to you over the phone.  The real issue is that you need to have lessons.  You can try my tutorial which is not just for the PE700 machine, your machine is a lot like it, and you will learn from it.

Ask a lot of questions, check this forum for others who are where you are, and most of all, enjoy your new craft!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:05:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

A proven method for learning any new machine - sewing, embroidery or serger, is to not read the manual first.  Unless you have insomnia!

Instead, open the manual and lay it right next to the machine and then read and apply each step of each feature from bobbin winding to maintenance (except for the serger, which does not have a bobbin).

The pictures in the manuals are mostly for reference and should not be the sole method of learning as important steps can be missed.

For the bobbin issue - the bobbin thread is suppose to pull the top thread to the back of the item being embroidered.  Be sure to use the correct weight of bobbin thread for machine embroidery.

Most bobbin thread is 60 weight.  Seventy would also be okay, but 90 wt (if not specified for this model) would be way too thin,

Thread weight and needle size can get confusing:

Thread - the higher the weight number the thinner the thread.  The weight along with thread type (poly, rayon, cotton, silk) and yardage will be marked on the spool end.

Needles - the higher the size number the larger the needle.  First number is European and second is US. The numbers are sometimes interchanged.  When a size 90 needle is recommended, it is the same as a size 14.  The needles and packages are marked with both numbers as well as what type (embroidery, ballpoint, jersey, denim, sharp, quilting, top-stitching, microtex and more). 

For machine embroidery, you want sharp for most items and ballpoint when embroidering knits.

I prefer titanium coated as they can be used longer and are non-stick.

http://allstitchembroiderysupplies.com/department/15x1-pd-flat-shank-regular-eye-titanium-10141.cfm  Be sure to purchase needles for the home embroidery machine and not a commercial machine.

Best wishes and have fun embroidering everthing you can get your hands on (start with old garments for practice).

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:01:06 AM(UTC)

Pattiann is one terrific writer and with excellent information!!

Just an added FYI, if you neck my needle blog, it will show you what the tension is for the bobbin.  It is different from the sewing tension that you may be familiar with.  It is a little tidbit that will assist you in understanding machine embroidery just a little more.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer