Notification

Icon
Error

Options
jere1558  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:47:51 PM(UTC)

I just got this little beaut! Got some stabilizer, some scrap material,  some thread and ready to roll. Oh wait...I can't for the life of me figure out how to reduce the font size. Got the rotation down pat (just didn't really want that). I have one grand-daughter with a nice short name; Ava, one not so short; Madison. I want to put the names on bibs. Easy for Ava, not so for Madison. 

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 5:59:22 AM(UTC)

Hello Newbie!  We love you, we were you!!!

You are going to love doing things for the grandchildren, and so many other things as well.

In your machine, go to the font section.  Select a single letter at a time.  With Madison, you may want to keep the size as is, then select the lower case 'a' and press the [L M S ] button a single time.  Add the remainder of your letters.

In my above example, the M will be in the "Large" size, and the remainder will be in the "Medium" size.  See how you like that set up.

If it is just a little too large, you may return to Edit and select the size area.  The size area has several methods as well.  You may want to only reduce the horizontal selection, you will see it when you are in the size area.  Make adjustments to suit your plan and project.

I highly recommend, she said modestly, that you read my PE700 Instructions.  Your model is different, but the actions are much the same and there are tips available as well.  

Play with your machine before you do your first project.  Then make your first project easy.  Avoid doing towels, thin materials or really dense deisgns at first.  Give yourself time to learn and especially grow!

Incidently, the instructions in your manual are for your MACHINE, they are not meant to teach you how to embroider.  Many newbies assume the manual will help.  It is for understanding how to use your new friend!

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

jere1558  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 7:08:58 AM(UTC)

thanks so much for the help. I'll give that a go.

another dumb thing I did...one of my first projects is an apron for my husband (yes he's the cook) so i got some denim of the same weight to practice on. too bad I didn't change my needle. i broke it! now to change the needle and try again.

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 8:02:52 AM(UTC)

My favorite thing was to break thread when I began.  Needles are a little more expensive. . .

Denim is a good place to start.  It is forgiving and even a mess can look 'cool!'

Good luck!  Pat

ladybee51  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 11:59:28 PM(UTC)

When embroidering on denim, it helps to change to a larger needle, such as a #14 or #16.  I recently made a bag with denim, embroidered designs on both sides, and had no problems when I used the larger needle.

BTW, congrats on your new baby (PE-770).  I've had mine since Nov. of last year.  I love it!

carneycorner  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 11:10:04 AM(UTC)

I just  bought my first embroidery machine, a Brother Pe770 and am having trouble downloading PES monogram designs from the internet.  The machine won't read a design "folder".  I unzipped the folder and tried downloading each individual pes file.  The machine read each file, but how am i able to monogram a name with each letter being a separate file?  Confused. I have downloaded PES appliques fine, just can't get the alphabets for monogramming.  HELP!!

pat71896  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 1:46:07 PM(UTC)

There is much to learn grasshopper newbie - welcome to the wonderful world of machine embroidery!

Keep in mind that the computer on your embroidery machine is not a computer in the same sense of your PC.  The computer on the machine is just to tell the machine how to embroider and a few things, like resizing, turning and seeing the thread colors.  Most of those things are self emplanitory, except the thread colors.  You may well find that the colors noted on the machine are NOT the colors you will want to use.

There are two types of letters in embroidery.  The first is Monograms, but you don't mention how you are downloading.  I will assume you are using a thumb drive.  You will download multiple letters to the icon that looks like a computer.  That is the holding place only, and when your machine is turned off, it will be deleted.  Download to the machine by selecting your letters, using your Cntl key and press the letter.  Right click on a highlighted letter and select "send to" the last drive on the list, it could be E or F or G.  Those letters are in the icon and you will select them, one at a time, and arrange them on your Edit screen.  Move and resize them as needed.  You will get the hang of them, I promise.

Moving right along to words - which is a different animal as far as your machine is concerned.  You want to have an alphabet font (like Darling for instance) and the software that goes with it, Alpha Xpress.  This is one of the fonts and software available.  You can also use your icon on your machine with the A A on it.  Try it out.  Many of us find that we like to have more than what is available on our machines, that is what Alpha Xpress is all about.

You may want to check out the instructions at this link. Which gives a quick project for a newbie, and a few tips as well. 

You need to learn about stabilizers, I have a blog on it, there are other places to learn about stabilizers, but you may well find, like so many others have, that here at AnnTheGran, we all help each other and learn and discuss these issues.

There really is a lot of learn.  Best wishes, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

raynemarie  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2010 8:54:47 AM(UTC)

I am also a complete Newbie with a PE770. I have the basics down but CAN'T figure out how to embroider of Shirts, Tanks and A-Line dresses. I know this is such a dumb question to those of you who are experienced in this but I really need help. I got this machine as agift so there is no dealer that can help me. I just need someone who can give me step by step instructions on how to hoop, or stabilize these kind of items so that I can move the back of the garment out of the way and not sew it to the front!  Thanks!!